Welcome to the sometimes surreal life of a rural mom, her two kids, and her legion of pets.

Monday, March 14, 2011

For want of a working vacuum....

First off, I am the least technically inclined person you will ever meet. I am boggled by computers, digital cameras, mp3 players, even cell phones.  My old camera's menu was in German. I didn't know enough German to be able to put it back into English. On the other hand I am also dirt poor. So when my vacuum cleaner started acting up, I decided to attempt to fix it on my own.

I can do basic repairs on my vacuum. Little things like changing the belt, and taking it apart to clear clogs. So I dug out my trusty phillips head screwdriver and went to town. To get the proper visual, this happened in the morning before work. Picture me doing this in a suit, complete with skirt, pantyhose, and high heeled shoes. The belt wasn't broken, but I pulled a wad of fur out of the tube that was roughly the size of one of the pet rats. Unfortunately that didn't do the trick, so I put it aside until I could be dressed more appropriately.

A couple of days later, I pulled on my ratty sweats and favorite nasty t-shirt and really pulled the thing apart. I got out a wire hanger, and cleaned out all of the tubes, changed the belt, and changed the filters. Feeling confident, I plugged it in and turned it on. It seemed to work for a little while, then started blowing the dust back out. Sighing, I turned it off and sat on the floor trying to figure out what to do next. The last place I had to look was in the motor compartment. Unfortunately the screws holding it shut were a weird shape that my meager collection of screwdrivers just didn't cover.

So I borrowed the tools from my dad to take the blasted thing apart. Nothing. It still keeps clogging. At this point we are at the score of vacuum 3, Sharon 0. My sister in law gave me their old one, so I can at least clean. Dad said he'd take a look at mine and see if he can figure out what's going on. I will prevail. I play to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment